Something about brie cheese makes everything feel high class. I was introduced to brie cheese when I was about 6 years old, and I love it.
My parents would take a round of brie, top it with berry preserves, wrap the brie in puff pastry, then bake it in the oven. It was one of my favorite things for a long time. I am surprised I even tried it at that age because I was a relatively picky eater. But, then again cheese has always been one of my favorite things.
This sandwich is a dream. It would be exceptionally fabulous if you have a panini press. I do not have one… yet. Right now, it is between a waffle iron or panini press, and Ian and I are divided. I love hot sandwiches, and I love the ease of using a griddle press for such occasions. Meanwhile, Ian keeps finding those videos that show you all the things you can make using a waffle iron. If I could ban those videos from the internet for a month, I would. Particularly if that meant getting a panini press! We could get a multi-use griddle that has the plates you switch out, but I am picky about my appliances. I would rather get a high quality panini press and a high quality waffle iron, separately. Everything else, I can grill on the stovetop with the same results! On the other hand, I think I might know what Ian and I will be getting each other for Christmas. 😉 For us, it’s all about the simple things.
This feels like the ultimate grown-up grilled cheese sandwich. It combines the best of savory and sweet, and the pears add a crisp texture that most sandwiches lack. The cherry preserves add an essential, acidic bite that cuts through the sweetness of the pears, and it creates a memory on your taste buds. It is every bit satisfying, decadent, and refreshing. I would absolutely eat this in lieu of dessert. Now, I feel like I am starting to sound like a Yelp reviewer. 😛
Grilled Brie and Pear Sandwich with Cherry Preserves
Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 Sandwich
Brie Cheese (use your favorite!)
1 Ripe Bosc Pear (or your favorite variety of pear)
Cherry Preserves (I recommend one that uses Tart Cherries!)
Salted Butter (Please, for the love of everything, use salted butter!!!)
Whole Wheat Bread cut in slices (or, your favorite bread for a panini)
- Cut brie cheese into thin slices, and cut enough to cover an entire slice of bread.
- Arrange those slices, and don’t worry about the white rind! Most rinds are edible on soft cheeses such as brie.
- Cut your pear of choice into thin slices, enough to cover the top of your brie cheese slices.
- Spread a layer of your cherry preserves on your other slice of bread, then lay that slice on top of the pears and brie.
- Take some butter, and spread it on one side of your sandwich.
- I keep my butter at room temperature, so it spreads easily. I have not had an issue with room temperature butter, but you use what you want to use!
- Heat a pan on medium heat, take your sandwich and place the buttered side on the pan.
- Spread butter on the side facing up, and cook one side, until it is golden and crisp.
- Flip your sandwich, and cook until golden and crisp, and cheese is melty.
- Place your freshly grilled sandwich on a plate, cut in half, and enjoy alone or with your favorite soup!
Voilà! I am telling you, this sandwich is unbelievably good. It is incredibly satisfying, and it has every flavor you could want in one meal. If you are wanting an upgraded lunch, please give this a try!
Our next post will feature our June 2016 Income Report! Chase will give all the details on how the blog did with traffic, income, and more of our analytics. You don’t want to miss it!
What are some of your favorite ways to have brie cheese?