I know it’s September, and the weather is turning toward fall. But, I still want to hold onto to summer tastes for as long as possible. I’m not really into the whole pumpkin spiced latte’ thing, but I adore the weather. I have not seen a real fall since I lived in Alexandria, Virginia when I was 4.
Texas has no fall. It’s basically summer for most of the year, then a few cold days in winter (at least that was the way it is for Houston). There were times where Christmas was in the 70’s in terms of temperature. I terribly missed seeing the leaves change colors and having fabulous temperatures before winter came. So, now that Ian and I are back in Tennessee, I feel like I am home again. And, I am insanely excited for fall.
But, first, avocados! The one restaurant Ian and I don’t have in Knoxville is a BJ’s Brew house. Ian and I would go on dates there occasionally when we were going to college in College Station. It never failed, we would always get the Avocado Egg Rolls. Sometimes, we would order two and have that as our main meal instead of an appetizer. They were so incredibly good!
Recently, Ian took a trip to Orlando, and, of course, he showed off that he went to BJ’s and got the avocado rolls. To say I was jealous would be an understatement. But, it gave me the motivation to try to recreate the same egg rolls that we loved!
I left the filling with the avocados more in cubes because this also resembled what I remember with BJ’s. I also have not quite come up with my own dipping sauce, yet, but I recommend a honey soy type sauce with some cashews and fresh cilantro. Something sweet with a little bit of saltiness.
Avocado Egg Rolls McDodge Style
Time: 30-45 minutes
Servings: Approximately 12-15 Egg Rolls
8 oz. Cream Cheese Softened
½ C Diced Red Onion
1/3 C Cilantro
Juice of ½ a Lime
4 Avocados diced
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Pepper
¼ Tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ Tsp. Paprika
Egg Roll wrappers
Dipping Sauce of choice
- Toast pine nuts over medium heat on stove top, stirring constantly. You want them to be fragrant and slightly roasted.
- Place 8 oz. cream cheese, toasted pine nuts, diced sun dried tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped cilantro, and lime juice in a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly stir together.
- Add 4 diced avocados, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in bowl with cream cheese mixture. Gently incorporate, leaving the avocados slightly chunky.
- Take egg roll wrappers and pull one out on clean work space. Lay the wrapper at a diagonal. Add 2-3 tablespoons of avocado mixture to the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner over the mixture, then fold in the two sides. Use your finger, dip it in water, and line the final open corner along the eggs with water. Roll the bottom wrap to the top to close it.
- Follow the instructions in number 4, until you use all of your avocado mixture. I ended up with 13 rolls.
- Place the rolls in the freezer while you heat your oil for frying.
- Using a deep fryer (you can see ours here) or deep pot for frying, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry egg rolls 3 at a time, and fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place egg rolls on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Place on serving plate with chopped cilantro, and favorite dipping sauce!
So much avocado goodness! These rolls are creamy, savory, and extremely satisfying. Ian loves them and they taste pretty close to our favorite rolls at BJ’s! I hope you will give these a try. I have not tried baking them in the oven, but I will give that a try at some point and post those results.
My next post will be the first dessert recipe I will have on Homemade Everyday! My first love was baking, and brownies were my favorite to make. So, I am going to share my brownie recipe.
Have you had avocado egg rolls?